- 150g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 25g ground almonds
- 80g unrefined golden caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 30g agave syrup
- 1 tbsp Meridian date syrup
- Zest of an orange
- 30g dried cherries
- 40g dried cranberries
- 60g shelled pistachios
- Unrefined icing sugar to dust
- Pre heat the oven to 180C/160C fan and line a baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, spice, almonds and unrefined sugar. In a separate bowl beat the egg and combine with the syrups and orange zest.
- Pour the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix with a knife and then your hands to bring together into dough. Add the fruit and nuts and knead until evenly distributed.
- Divide the mixture in half and shape into fat sausages. Lay them on the baking sheet, well-spaced, and bake for 30 minutes until they have risen and feel firm. Remove from the oven and turn it down to 120C/100C fan.
- Cool for a few minutes then use a bread knife to slice diagonally into 1cm slices. Lay the slices back on the baking sheet and return to the oven for 20 minutes turning halfway through. Once cooled, they will keep for up to a month in an airtight tin. Dust with icing sugar to serve.