- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 100ml cider vinegar
- 90ml Meridian date syrup
- 1½ tsp mustard powder
- 1½ tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp Meridian yeast extract
- 2 tsp chipotle paste
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 350ml passata
- 75ml Meridian molasses
- 70g unrefined dark brown sugar
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan and gently cook the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes until soft.
- Add all the other ingredients and bring to a simmer while stirring. Simmer for 10 minutes until the sugar had dissolved and the sauce has become thick. Use straight away or store in the fridge.