A Nutty Mother's Day Breakfast
The recipe my mum would absolutely love to tuck into on Mothering Sunday would have to be these fluffy blueberry pancakes with almond butter and strawberry jam.
135g/4¾oz plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 tbsp caster sugar
130ml/4½fl oz milk
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tbsp melted butter (allowed to cool slightly) plus extra for cooking
1 large handful of blueberries
Meridian Almond Butter
Meridian Strawberry Jam
1. In a jug or bowl, whisk together the milk and egg, followed by the cooled melted butter.
2. In a separate larger bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar.
3. Make a well in the dry mixture and slowly whisk in the liquid until you have a smooth batter. If the mixture is too thick to mix, add in a splash more milk. Let the batter stand for a few minutes and throw in a handful of blueberries.
4. On a pancake hotplate, directly onto a silicone mat on top of the AGA, or in a non stick frying pan, melt some butter, being careful not to let it burn.
5. When it's melted, ladle on a scoop of batter (or two if your frying pan is big enough to cook two pancakes at the same time). It will seem very thick but this is how it should be. Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, then turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown and the pancake has risen to about 1cm (½in) thick.
6. Repeat until all the batter is used up. You can keep the pancakes warm in a low oven, but they taste best fresh out the pan.
7. Serve with a generous spoonful of almond butter and strawberry jam, fresh berries and a dash of maple syrup.
Check out Alice's blog Wooden Windowsills to see more of her recipes, lifestyle and adventures!